Welcome

Experience all things Hancock County, our past, future, present. See our wild life, listen to amazing music and enjoy the natural beauty of the "hidden jewel of Georgia."

Hancock County Historic Courthouse

Hancock County Historic Courthouse

Monday, January 4, 2010

What do I know?

I arrived in Hancock County, my home, thinking I knew something about it. My first thoughts were right. I didn't know anything about Hancock County. Sure, I knew a few facts, I knew a few people and I knew a few things about the economic and political climate.

Recognizing how little I knew and wanting to avoid the "savior complex", my first thoughts were to listen, observe and learn. This went out the window as I was drawn into a budding group of community activist. They had great ideas, great plans, all having been active and successful in their prior communities.

I was dense enough to think we were on to something and would begin to see those long standing problems tumble before our well organized plans. Much to our horror life went on just as usual, in fact we were the grasshoppers trying to slay the giant. The giant swatted us away like so many annoying gnats.

The giants are still ruling the land, flexing their muscles and the gnats have gone into hidding. There are a few still buzzing around, every now and them, we might just sting a bit. Soon the bite stops stinging and the giants forget we are even on the planet.

What I know and what has been successful in my prior life is null and void here. I admit not defeat, but ignorance. I don't know what to do. Starting over, I'm listening, observing, reading, learning and looking for someone that can make sense of Hancock County.

What I don't want is to beginning blaming the citizens because they aren't responding the way I think they should. I am in no position to judge, I haven't walked a mile in their shoes. Somewhere, there is a strategy to mobolize the citizens to act in their own best interest.

Until then, I'm listening, observing and learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment